Tuesday, January 6, 2009

1/6/09 Bad Day

I was not going to post this because I was not able to accomplish anything today, but one of my goals here is to possibly help others to push themselves through obstacles or trying times. Lately my focus has been lacking, my mind is somewhere else but I am usually able to reign it in for my training. Last night and this morning I failed. I was not able to sleep at all and my chest day was a failure....

Flat Bench
135x10
225x10
315x3

Floor Press
135x10
225x8
265x3

Incline Bench Press
135x10
225x8
245x3
My form was terrible on these, I could feel it. On the last set my left lat pulled on me so I backed off. I can only blame myself because I was not focused on the task at hand. The only positive that I can take away from this is that a year ago I would have kept going, I would have tried to push through the pain instead of listening to my body.

As we get older, it does help to get smarter too so that we can live to fight another day.....

Tomorrow, I will fight again.

1 comment:

  1. Don't think of it as a failure Mark, think of it as practice. You can't lift your max weights all the time, the body just can't handle it. Over-training is way worse than under-training. Even Louie Simmons and his conjugate method rairely maxes in the main lifts, it's always lifts they feel have a big carryover to the main lifts. And they cycle through those moves as soon as they get stuck.

    If you follow my weight progression (during a cycle)for the main lifts I take 4 steps forward and 3 back. I plan on lighter days to get recovery for the heavy days. My weights have steadily went up. After a few cycles if I am hitting a wall I trade for a similar move...semi sumo dead for conventional dead...you get the idea. It's constantly progressing. Power to the People will explain it better than I, it's the best simple progression of a training cycle I've seen.

    Alright, I'll stop preaching now. Anyway, go easy on yourself. Any day in the gym is not a failure, it's prep work for the upcoming sessions...no matter what the outcome. That's why form and recovery are more important than the weights.

    ReplyDelete